Building of the Month – The Cricketers, Broadwater

The Cricketers, Broadwater

A beer house existed on the site in Aug 1853.  Thomas Luff the owner was granted a spirit licence in 1856 for an establishment called the Brewers Arms.

The building was auctioned off in 1872 and reopened in 1874 as the Cricketers Arms under the new owner, a cricket loving retired civil servant named  William Penley. He supplied the necessary equipment for cricket to be played on the green opposite the pub.

In the 1890’s  landlady Margaret Medlock established a tea rooms & catered for cricket luncheons.

In 1913 boxer Bombardier Billy Wells, trained for his forthcoming Heavyweight Champion fight using the Cricketers as his base.

In 1944 in the build up to D day General Bernard Montgomery was seen taking lunch at the Cricketers, then addressing troops on the green and later taking tea with the mayor.

It wasn’t Monty however but in fact a double called Clifton James a local repertory actor who impersonated him to fool German spies.

On 31st March 1989 the funeral of landlord Wilf Page was attended by 500 people. He had taken over the licence from his father in 1946.

The pub had been in the family for more than 100 years by way of his mother who married the third son of the aforementioned Mrs Medlock.

Recommended Articles