In 1850 eleven men died aiding the Lalla Rookh in distress off Worthing. This tragedy led to the provision of a private lifeboat in 1853 the unamed boat stood opposite the coastguard house. A RNLI reorganisation in 1865 led to the purchase of a new boat the “Jane” with Thomas Blann as coxswain. A lifeboat station was opened the same year in Crescent Road but was soon replaced with a new station on marine parade with direct access to the shore, 1st floor quarters for the crew and stables at the rear for the horses that were used to pull the carriage to the waters edge. In 1880 the Jane was renamed “Henry Harris” This was replaced in 1887 by a new boat that retained the original name and launched during celebrations for Queen Victoria’s golden jubilee.
The lifeboat featured in many processions through Worthing mounted on it’s carriage. In 1901 a new boat the “Richard Coleman” was presented by his widow .
The last Worthing lifeboat was taken out of service in 1930 with Shoreham Lifeboat taking over responsibility.
The station was sold off and fell into disrepair but in recent years has undergone a sympathetic restoration as a family dwelling.
It is situated in the Marine Parade & Hinterland conservation area and is on the local interest register.
The Lifeboat Memorial to all the lost crew members which was donated by the Worthing Society is located at the Memorial Garden at Splashpoint.